Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Can't Stop Partying

These days I don't get to see my family as much as I used to, so when I arrived at my parent's house on Saturday night, my brother, Ben, and I stayed up the whole night talking. We reminisced about our High School days for a long time, recalling both awesome and terrible memories from our youth. Then we picked up the old guitars and strummed a few tunes. All of the old songs brought back even more memories.

My brother and I used to jump in my car and drive to any random social gathering we could find, but the best part of it all was getting to spend some one on one time with him. Even though we lived together in the same house, we both had our own friends and our own extra curriculars to attend to. We didn't have a lot in common, but we both loved rock 'n roll and we both loved to party. The only time we really spent together were those car rides - singing "Can't Stop Partying" by Weezer at the top of our lungs - and confiding in the trust that we both had for each other. During those times, we told each other everything. We talked about our problems, complained about school, and shared our dreams. We swore we were going to make something out of ourselves.

My brother is graduating this spring, and next fall he'll be off to college. Although I'm moving to London for five months, I know the distance will never separate us. I can't believe how fast the time is going by. One second we're living on top of the world, and the next second reality comes crashing down on us and we start to realize that we have to grow up sometime or another. I'm just thankful that I have people to hold onto as I try to navigate this fantastic, ever-changing world. The bond that we share is truly a special thing, and I really believe that is one thing that will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment